Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dog Days


I would like to begin this post by telling you a charming anecdote.  Several years ago, I would not have found this story endearing in the least; however, I have learned a lot since then, and I find that knowledge, understanding, wisdom, etc. serve to ease anxiety and worry (both usually caused by a feeling of a lack of control) exponentially.

This morning, my nephew-dog (a long-haired Dachshund named Romeo) was nowhere to be found when I got out of the shower.  I thought this was odd, but as I'm not around him too often, I am not super familiar with his personality.  I stayed at my dad's house last night and will be visiting with family today for Father's Day, so I was rushing around getting my outfit, makeup, and all my paraphernalia together, when I noticed Romeo, my sweet, darling, little nephew-dog, crouched behind the sofa and devouring a king-sized Hershey's chocolate and almond candy bar.  If you know ANYTHING about dogs, you probably know that chocolate can kill them!  My first thought:  "How did Romeo, with his T-Rex arms, reach the candy bar in the middle of the coffee table?"  My second thought:  "My sister, the loving and feisty owner of Romeo, is going to rip me a new one."  My third thought:  "Maybe I should stay home with Romeo and skip church?"  My fourth thought:  "Where is the hydrogen peroxide?"

I had a 10 second period of panic, but got it together, looked in the medicine cabinet, and lo and behold!  There was the hydrogen peroxide.  I grabbed a spoon, forced some down Romeo's throat, held his mouth closed and back so he had no choice but to swallow the substance that no doubt tasted much worse than the chocolate he had been mauling seconds earlier.  I calmly went back to applying my makeup (what did it matter now that I was skipping church?).  I was starting to feel a bit calmer, but Romeo was taking longer to vomit than my dogs did when this had happened to them in the past!  Finally, I heard loud, grotesque rumblings from the bowels of Romeo's belly, and the slimiest, thickest conglomeration of chocolate and mucous I have ever seen was spewing forth from his mouth!  Score!!!  I was a proud aunt!  I coached him like a doula does a woman in labor!



Years ago, when a similar situation happened to my male dog, Hank, I FREAKED out.  I called my aunt in hysterics, and she calmly explained to me that hydrogen peroxide would do the trick.  Having that prior knowledge helped my reaction immensely this morning!  I had a very low level of anxiety compared to the first time I encountered this situation 5 years earlier.  Now, I know that there are all sorts of situations that we encounter on a daily basis that we have not yet experienced.  I am not saying that it is always easy to stay calm.  If you know me, you know this to be true!

However, I do find that resting in the knowledge that God is omnipotent is soothing and gives me "peace that transcends all understanding," (Philippians 4:7).  God knows what is going to happen before you do!  He "knows what you need before you ask him," (Matthew 6:8).  "The very hairs of your head are all numbered," (Luke 12:7).  One of my newest favorite verses is this:  "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps," (Proverbs 16:9).  There is nobody better equipped to trust your life with than God.  "Whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe," (Proverbs 29:25).  I hope you have a fruitful Sabbath!


**For those without a Gmail account, please submit comments or questions to lbeauwilliams@gmail.com.  If you have a Gmail account, please feel free to put comments on blog :)**

No comments:

Post a Comment